Sustaining and strengthening healthy and thriving families by optimizing opportunities arising in our community.
Community-based healing programs are activities and events that take place on the premises of the Chisasibi community. These activities and programs have been developed and delivered by multiple community service providers such as the Chisasibi Heritage and Cultural Centre, Brighter Futures, and Cree Board of Health and Social Services James Bay. They provide a balanced, multidisciplinary delivery system combining Iiyiyiuu and western health and social programs that meet the needs of our members. Through guidance, education, counselling and consultation we hope to positively impact the choices our people make about their health and wellness irrespective of the method they use
Meet increasing needs and requests from community members and clients for traditional healing and medicine.
- Traditional and psychosocial counsellung
- Maintain Iiyiyiuu healing activities
- Cultural events, seasonal ceremonies and celebrations (encourage employee and physician attendance)
- Community input and participation in Iiyiyiuu healing programming and delivery
Enhance services for children and families, mostly focused on workshop-type activities.
- Pre-natal health
- Traditional parenting
- Conflict resolution training
- Legal training (linking with the Justice Department)
- Residential School Commemoration & Memorial
- Weekend retreat
Strengthen individual self-esteem and build capacity for youth.
- Youth Clinic in programming
- Youth outreach programs including
- Rites of passage training & awareness
- Food security & healthy lifestyles
- Sexual abuse
- Suicide prevention
- Family/community meetings with school nurse & social worker